What does difficulty in walking when on Amiodarone for A-fib indicate?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My dad is on amiodarone for afib and says he cannot walk. He is sure it's the amiodarone and wants to go off of it and have ablation surgery. The amiodarone has stopped his afib and that is wonderful, he is 82 years old and otherwise healthy. I would like to understand if the drug is causing the knee and leg issues, will it go away because he has only been on the drug for 2.5 weeks.

Did I get any information or response to my question?
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not common side effect for Amiodarone

Detailed Answer:

Usually amiodarone doesn't cause such symptoms. One of it's rare side effects is neuropathy, which can cause pain in legs. But before, other reasons should be excluded such as arthritis. In case it is a side effect of Amiodaron, most probably it will disappear after discontinuation.
I would advise you to see your doctor, if he/she can't find out another cause for your father's complaints, then it could be caused by Amiodarone. In this case Amiodaron should be discontinued. There may be a need to replace it with other medication.

Hope I could help you

Wishing a good health to your father

In case of further questions don't hesitate to ask

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist