• question-icon

What does delay in menstruation when diagnosed with PCOD indicate?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi,
I'm 26 years old girl. I have PCOS and I'm sexually active. Last period i got was on 26th april and it got over on 30th april. I used to take Diane 35, but my doctor advised that I should discontinue it as i was gaining weight from that medicine. I had sex on 1st of may, then i had sex on 18th of may. We had protected sex, used condoms always. Then, we had sex on 2nd of XXXXXXX So basically i have missed my periods. Also, i did ultrasound of full abdomen, doctor said that there is nothing, nothing was there and said that my PCOS has been somewhat cured, cysts has been cured. Also, i did home made remedy test, home urine test, so according to it i am not pregnant.
I just want to be sure that have I missed my periods because of pregnancy or because of PCOS.
Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hormone imbalance is the most likely cause.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

In the current scenario, the most likely cause of the delayed is the hormone imbalance and not pregnancy. Yet, if you want to exclude pregnancy, you can go for the blood test.

Since you discontinued the hormone course, you are likely to experience irregular cycles for a while until the hormone balance is settled.

Please maintain a healthy diet, a healthy weight and regular exercise. This helps a lot in regulating hormone levels and helps to achieve proper ovulation.

It is good that the sonogram findings are reported normal.

You can get tested for insulin resistance and if positive, can start with Metformin course after consulting your health care provider. This helps to induce ovulation and regularize cycles.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 5 minutes later

Is there any other way to get tested, juat to be sure that I'm not pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can get the blood test.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

As I mentioned earlier, you can get the estimation of the serum beta-hCG titres. This is a very sensitive and specific test to confirm/exclude pregnancy.

A trans-vaginal sonogram also helps to know the status of the pelvic organs and to exclude/confirm pregnancy.

Hope this helps. Please get back if you need anything else. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN