What does decrease of HCG level in pregnancy indicate?

Question
Hi I'm currently pregnant had hcg blood tues was 833 had them today 793 does that mean I will miss carry as had light spotting over last 3 weeks as I don't know when my last period was so unsure how far along I am and not been offered an ultrasound
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
THis is concerning!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am s sorry to hear about this rather concerning HCG values. To be honest, they are not reassuring and the vaginal bleeding makes the chances of this pregnancy going forward very slim. HCG level generally rise rapidly continuously in early pregnancy and to report a rather decreasing trend is not a good piece of information.

This alone cannot conclude on the sate of this pregnancy. I will suggest that you get an ultrasound done so as to look directly at the fetus for viability and growth parameters. This together with the HCG values would make the picture clearer and easier to arrive at a conclusion in order to be able to establish a treatment plan.

In all, these values are not reassuring. Get an ultrasound and the two together would be guiding enough for further measures.

I hope this helps. I wish you well and thank you so much for using our services. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.