What does dark urine when on Butrans Patch indicate?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Dark urine one time upon waking up and small amount of urine. The rest of the day is ok. Seems to have starte d when butrans patch started
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible butrans patch side effects;stop using it for some days&see changes

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns.

1. Dark urine upon waking up is indicating for a more concentrated urine. This is normally happening in everyone especially if you urinate only in the morning (upon waking) and do not visit bathroom during nighttime.

2. If you notice such changes in your urine color only recently, after using butrans patch, then, we can take this as possible side effect of butrans patch.

Please bare in mind that butrans patch is an opioid analgesic, and I believe your doctor prescribed to you due to any chronic pain you might have been experienced recently.

As per any other medication, butrans patch comes with its own side effects including darkened urine.

I advise to discuss this possible side effect with the doctor who prescribed to you.
If I was your caring doctor would advise to stop using it for some time and see if the urine color in the morning will get normal again. If not, then, it might be due to highly concentrated urine.

For the moment, I advise to increase water intake and observe for other health problems.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini