What does dark red bleeding from the rectum indicate?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Bleeding from rectum-dark red blood when I have bowel movement. Had 3 internal hemrhoids removed a few
years ago, but no bleeding or other issues lately until now.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give some more details.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Thank you for the query.

Is this blood mixed with stool or on its surface? When was your last colonoscopy?

Im looking forward to hearing from you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
Answeers:

1. Both

2. Last colonoscopy about 3 years ago; no problems.

3. First discharge Saturday; 2nd one this morning; dark red blood.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy should be repeated.

Detailed Answer:
As it seems bleeding is quite intense and blood is also mixed with stool, something else than hemorrhoids can be the reason. So colonoscopy is what you should have done at first.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 hours later
Appointment next week with gastroentrnologist.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is a good idea.

Detailed Answer:
This is a very good idea. Hope the doctor will perform colonoscopy.