What does dark discoloration on nail after unprotected sex indicate?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
A week ago I had a sexual interaction with a call girl. She gave me unprotected oral sex and I fingered her. As soon as I was done with the encounter I went to wash my hand and I noticed that the skin top and right side of my nail was darker than the other fingers, it did not wash away, it was not painful or swollen and it stayed that way till it cleared and now i notice some sort of scab between the nail and the skin at the top of my finger. Am i at risk of HIV or any other STD?
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
HIV test is suggested to rule out HIV

Detailed Answer:

Oral sex carries a low risk, compared to anal and vaginal sex. The risk through unprotected vaginal sex which is considered as high risk exposure is 5 per 10000 exposures as per CDC, XXXXXXX In comparison, you can imagine the low risk means almost remote - in my opinion the transmission chances are astronomical.

Similarly fingering also has a negligible risk.

As you had noticed presence of a dark spots over nail during washing your hands and subsequently seen scabbing between nail and skin, I am not sure if was it was present before the exposure (darkness cannot occur immediately after a risky sex either with HIV or STD) and would not have noticed by you. Presuming it as an ulcer or abrasion or an infectious lesion the same could have increased your risk of HIV through fingering, if that girl has any HIV infection. Therefore it is better to rule out HIV with blood test after appropriate time.

Hope I am clear. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Have a good day.
Dr S.Murugan