What does dark bloody stools along with loose stools suggest?
Infection / malignancy - Investigations ASAP
Thanks for your query.
Read and understood your history of bright red stool in the beginning bu now dark and tar-like. Also noted that you had lower colon exam 6 months ago and full exam 3 years ago.
Possibilities considering your age of 63 are:
- Severe colitis involving the mid-part of the colon (indicated by bright red blood in the beginning as it is rushed through and dark tar like later as it is retained enough to be turned into black).
- Malignancy has to be ruled out.
I would suggest you the following:
Consult your Doctor to get clinical evaluation, related tests of stool, blood and urine, ultrasonography to start with, a course of antibiotic and metronidazole, probiotics.
Plan for colonoscopy and CT scan of the abdomen to get the correct diagnosis and plan for further treatment.
I hope this answer helps you to get a proper diagnosis, and get a proper further treatment. Please feel free to ask for more if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Dark brown loose stools
- Dark smelly loose stools
- Dark loose stool and tired
- Dark bloody mucus in stool
- Suggestions for bloody mucus stools
- Wrinkly stool and loose stool
- Dark grey loose stool
- Causes of loose bloody stools
- Loose motions bloody stools
- Vomitting loose stools worms in stools what are these