What does cortisol level of .09 indicate?
I am sorry to learn about your symptoms.
A random cortisol reading has little value.
Would you be able to tell me what time this blood sample was drawn? It is quite valuable to know this and interpret the result.
Typically, endocrinologists order blood cortisol at 8 am in the morning and interpret that in the light of symptoms. The result is used to diagnose to adrenal insufficiency.
However, some of the complaints you have are suggestive of the opposite ie Cushings syndrome in which case various 'suppression' tests are performed. For example a pill called dexamethasone is given at midnight and the blood cortisol test is drawn at 8 am the next morning.
I would like to comment further that hydrocodone can suppress the 'hypothalami-pituitary-adrenal axis' meaning it can give a lower blood cortisol value. So this will need to be taken into consideration whilst interpreting your cortisol result
Such a low level of cortisol is considered severely abnormal.
However, it is a laboratory result and doctors treat people, not lab results. So the broader perspective comes into play here.
As an endocrinologist, I take such a result quite seriously and examine my patient carefully to see if (s)he has evidence of adrenal insufficiency. I also run further tests (such as ACTH stimulation test, Cortisol binding globulin) to confirm the diagnosis and to rule out other potential causes of a low cortisol level.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Bisoprolol and cortisol levels
- What brings cortisol levels down
- Nuvaring cortisol levels
- Urine cortisol levels adderall
- What lowers cortisol levels naturally
- What vitamins lower cortisol levels
- Bystolic and cortisol levels
- Adderall and cortisol levels
- Cortisol levels and loestrin fe
- What is normal cortisol levels
- Thyroid problem,unable to conceive,hormone deficiency
- How are headaches and vitiligo treated ?
- Feel cold, lightheadedness, memory problems, foggy thinking,...
- Hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis, taking Thyronorm. Do you...
- Underweight, taken dexamethasone. How can I gain weight?
- What can be done for a high blood sugar? Have frequent urination.
- Had hormone imbalance. Used androgel when testosterone went down. Will...
- Have a postprandial hypoglycemic reaction to foods with carbs. Gaining...
- Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. Is Armour thyroid or Erfa thyroid better...
- Cold feeling after eating sugar. Headache, fever, BP high, have...