What does cortical laminar necrosis with mild ex vacuo dilation of the left occipital horn mean?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Mar 2019 in Headache and Migraines
Question: What does cortical laminar necrosis with mild ex vacuo dialation of the left occipital horn mean. I have had 4 MRI's over the past year and had the films reviewed by an outside source that says the dialation is evolving.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
These are suggestive of changes due to an old head injury.

Detailed Answer:

I have noted the details (history and MRI brain findings).

Cortical laminar necrosis refers to old damage to brain tissue (in this case, caused by head injury). Once the brain tissue gets damaged, a few nerve cells die. This leaves a vacuum, which gets replaced by the ventricles (in your case occipital horn of the left lateral ventricle). Ventricles in the brain contain the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).

This finding is not of concern as it does not lead to any problem. The finding would remain forever, and future MRI scans of the brain would also show the same finding, with minor changes.

I sincerely hope my reply has helped you.

Dr. Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana