What does cortical laminar necrosis with mild ex vacuo dialation

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Mar 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: What does cortical laminar necrosis with mild ex vacuo dialation of the left occipital horn mean. I have had 4 MRI's over the past year and had the films reviewed by an outside source that says the dialation is evolving.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
These are suggestive of changes due to old head injury.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.

I have noted the details (history and MRI brain findings).

Cortical laminar necrosis refers to old damage to brain tissue (in this case, caused by head injury). Once the brain tissue gets damaged, a few nerve cells die. This leaves a vacuum, which gets replaced by the ventricles (in your case occipital horn of the left lateral ventricle). Ventricles in brain contain the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).

This finding is not of concern as it does not lead to any problem. The finding would remain forever, and future MRI scans of the brain would also show the same finding, with minor changes.

I sincerely hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,     
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana