What does congested bronchovascular markings with no active lesions on the lungs mean?

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hello, what does a chest x XXXXXXX that reads 'congested bronchovascular markings with no active lesions on the lungs' mean?
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 5 hours later
Thanks for posting the query, on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. 'congested bronchovascular markings with no active lesions on the lungs' means that xray changes are suggestive of acute bronchitis. Sometimes this is a normal finding in xray too.

2. Considering your history, you need to take a full course of antibiotics.

3. Also since you are a smoker, do get your pulmonary function test done to rule out COPD and find your "Lung age".

4. Stopping smoking is highly recommended.

5. Please get a clinical evaluation from a Pulmonologist done.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist
Follow up: Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 7 hours later
thank you dr., 2 follow up questions

1. could this congestion cause an elevated l-dimer test? all other blood tests are normal (except ldl and hdl, next week results).

2. i am seeing pulmonologist next week but i have pre existing anxiety and I am very nervous, I am interpreting every small feeling in a very negative way since they read me this x XXXXXXX could this result in any way indicate ADVANCED lung cancer of any sort? in other words, Is it possible that ADVANCED lung cancer does not appear on the x ray?
kind regards
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 6 hours later
Thanks for the follow up query.
After going through the follow up query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Normally d-dimer test is carried out.It is normally advised on suspicion of thrombosis. It all depends on your clinical symptoms. If the clinical symptoms are correlated then a HRCT Thorax with pulmonar angiography is indicated for pulmonary embolism.

2.Such an xray picture is highly unlikely and is normally not seen in advanced lung cancer. If lung cancer is suspected the an HRCT thorax will be advised by your pulmonologist. Xray normally does not miss "advanced" lung cancer.

3. Its good that you have an appointment with the pulmonolgist. Please do not be anxious about it.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist