What does collapse of gestational sac during pregnancy indicate?

Question
help me calculate my pregnancy my last period is may 12.only systoms i had now is breast sore when i remove inside bra and cramp left n right scan 1st show heartbeat at 6weeks next scan show sac collapse n next one show blighted ovum over 3wks i have not done scan hope my baby is there
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of a missed pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

If you have had regular cycles and had a confirmed pregnancy through a sonogram, then, I am sorry to say, it appears as if you have a missed pregnancy.

The appearance of a collapsed sac in a follow up sonogram followed by the presence of an observation of blighted ovum, support this opinion.

You can get serial titres of serum beta-hCG. If the pregnancy is progressing well, doubling of titres is observed every 2-3 days. Else, there is a steady fall.

In the current scenario, you need to see a specialist, get a clinical evaluation and a repeat trans-vaginal sonogram to assess the situation and plan further management. As per your dates, you should be 10-12 weeks pregnant by now.

If it is a missed abortion, you will need evacuation as prolonged retention can lead to complications like bleeding disorders and infections.

Hope your query has been answered. Please feel free to contact for more information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.