What does clear cloudy substance in urine indicate?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: I have this clear cloudy stuff in my urine. I went to the doc and had an urinalysis and it showed a trace of mucus. is this normal? I have it everyday is that normal?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
mucus is produced in the urinary tract

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is not abnormal and does not necesssarily indicate that there are any problems.

The urinary tract extends from the kidney to the urethra and includes the kidneys, ureter, bladder , prostate (in males) and urethra.
In the urinary tract there are cells that produce mucus and this mucus can sometimes be seen in the urine.

It may appear as crystals, threads or sediment.

The mucus production play a part is reducing the risk of infection and also protects against chemical agents.

Sometimes increased mucus production can occur in urinary tract infection but this would be associated with other significant changes in the urine and also with symptoms and signs of urinary tract infection (passing urine frequently, discomfort on urination,fever, blood in urine, urgency)

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions