question-icon

What does chronic pain in the eyebrow suggest?

Posted on Mon, 25 May 2015
Question: My left eyebrow has sharp chronic pain for three weeks. Ophtha. Is treating for possible infected hairfollicle but was just guessing

He put me on doxycycline and steroids bit not heloing
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Hemicrania

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for sending your query to us.
Unilateral pain if not due to surface infection, which is visible, can be due to infection of frontal sinuses.This sinusitis has certain distinctive features like pain being more in the morning and a preceeding history of sore throat.
There are certain eye disorders also which give rise to unilateral pain but they have distinctive features.
In such conditions plain x-ray orbit or C.T.scan will confirm the diagnosis.
The treatment consists of anti inflammatory drugs.
If tests do not reveal sinusitis the further investigation and examination will reveal the correct direction.
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist