What does "chip of fifth metatarsal bone" indicate?

Posted on Sat, 15 Nov 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question:

Xray shows chip of fifth metatarsal bone right below little toe. Currently in hard splint. What comes next.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You will need buddy splint

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using healthcare magic. This is not a very serious injury. You will be fine in three weeks. You will need a buddy splint. In this your little toe will be tied with fourth toe with the help of bandage. Your fourth toe will act like support and this fracture will unite in three weeks.
You also need to take calcium along with vitamin D 3.This will help in faster healing of this fracture. If severe pain is there than you can take Ultracet tablet for pain relief.
I hope this answer will be helpful. Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 21 minutes later
Thanks so much. But what I really want to know is how soon can I get in a walking cast or boot. I am hating crutches. Taking Ca and Vit D.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
you can walk from next week

Detailed Answer:
Walking can be allowed in a good plaster. It should be hard enough to bear your weight. After this you can walk from 5 to 7th day from now.
But you should keep your walking minimum.If you are not walking than keep yoour foot elevated over pillow.
thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement