What does chest pain radiating to back of shoulder indicate?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: Can all my daily severe symptoms including severe central chest pain that radiates to my left arm back of my shoulder and up into my neck and jaw, the profuse sweating, the palpatations and the breathlessness be from anxiety even when I'm not having a panic attack? I am constantly thinking about my heart and having a heart attack 24/7 I'm that scared
I spend all day everyday I'm agony with chest/pain/left arm pain and jaw pain it is so severe

Can anxiety create these intense exact cardiac symptoms? Can it mimic a heart attack exactly like a real one?

I feel so unwell I haven't slept for four months this is how long it's been going on for I have no energy I'm depressed and spend my days on the internet trying to find out if I'm having a heart attack

I have had a ct scan of my heart and an echocardiogram both came back normal

Would the ct scan of my heart rule out everything? Including small arteries? I know it came back saying everything was normal but I don't know what was normal like valves and arteries plus my mothers sister had every test done and told she had anxiety and to stop wasting people's time and she died of a 95% blockage in her arteries three weeks later

I constantly feel like this and I'm so exhausted and I feel genuinely unwell which frightens me more I'm convinced it's my heart I get dizzy and light headed easily too

I had elevated troponin once it was 44 the dr said it's not high enough for heart attack that should be in the thousands or millions but it was still elevated then six hours later went down to normal under ten and the troponin tests I've had done since then are all under

I was in a packed out cinema and in full blown anxiety attack when I felt the pain shot from my chest down my arm like a lightning bolt then I got the 44 reading, so I'm curious to know if anyone knows if panic attacks and anxiety can elevate troponin levels only for them to return to normal once panic seizes
My own dr said it's not possible to have elevated troponin without heart damage and he can't understand why it went back to normal so fast
Have I had a heart attack without getting treatment ?

I sweat that much I have to carry a towel with me and I'm not obese I'm 5ft2. 10 and a half stone and was a smoker for 10 years I quit three months ago I'm also known to have a resting pulse rate of 115

I just need to know if I'm in danger of a heart attack or if it is severe anxiety and my mind is creating these symptoms
Diazapam seems to have the best effect of the symptoms
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety disorder it is

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

The symptoms of pain that you have described suggest that it could be either an angina (mild heart attack) or a panic attack with general anxiety, as the symptoms can be mostly similar. However the fact that the CT scan and Echo has come normal suggest that it is very unlikely to be a cardiac condition. You are very distressed cause of the recurrent thoughts that you may be having a heart attack. Hence I would suggest that you can go for a Angiography Heart. This way you can visualize the heart arteries directly and look for if there is any blocakage. If there is none then it will put your anxiety to rest.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.