What does chest pain indicate after doing pull ups?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
Hi I am a very healthy and in excellent physical condition 50 year old male. I live in XXXXXXX Ohio and where it is 2 degrees. I am a runner and I ran outside on Friday. No issues, but Friday afternoon I was doing pull ups and the right side of my chest started to hurt. I thought I might have pulled something but the pain does not go away at all. It a dull ache in my chest and back and no matter how I move I feel it. It is very difficult to sleep. I have fever. Any ideas?
Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lung x-rays required

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
In most cases such pain is caused by pulled intercostal muscle or pinched intercostal nerve. This is treated with painkillers, rest and warm compresses. However if there is constant pain and breathing difficulties then it may indicate spontaneous pneumothorax or pneumonia and it would be good to rule this out by doing lung x-rays. Wish you good health.regards