What does "cavernous angioma or a venous malformation" in an MRI report mean?

Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 13 May 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I fell on March 19, 2014, I missed a step and fell forward and struck my head hard on dirty cement. I immediately felt immense pain and experienced a lot of flashing lights, the same as what I see during painless migraines only on a much greater level. I also felt nausea immediately after falling, which went away after a few minutes. The light show lasted longer than the nausea. The. blow was to the left temple right along the hairline. (I took a few pictures of the huge lump that raised up to show the dr. if there was any problem later. There was also a laceration visible.) I tried to call the advice line nurse, was told the nurse would return my call and got a return call two days later. By then I felt I was still alive so did not feel it was necessary to get worked up. I am still experiencing occasional, minor headaches that don't last very long but are worrisome due to what I've been reading online. I did not have online access at the time of the fall. In addition, a few days after the fall I was experiencing some vertigo while in bed, and when i got up it felt like the room was tilting and almost fell sideways. That happened again later on with the room feeling tilted or my perception of it. I also still have a hard bony lump left behind where the initial swollen lump was, in the same area of the laceration. My concern now is what the long_term effects may be. I was also diagnosed a few years ago with a "cavernous angioma or a venous malformation" found during an MRI in July 2007. Am now curious as to if there could be a problem concerning the venous malformation.
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Get fresh MRI scan done. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. All you need is to get fresh MRI scan of brain. Only after seeing MRI scan report of your brain your proper diagnosis can be made because you have already mention that you have cavernous angioma or a venous malformation you should not ignore all this. Now the symptoms may go temporary but they may appear again after a month or so because from you history it seems that a little bleeding has occurred in your brain which leads to all the symptoms above and now bleeding may be have been stopped but the damage which is caused in brain could not be imagined without seeing MRI scan of your brain. If want to send more pictures you can upload them on the right side of this query page. Currently, I see one picture uploaded but that does not show any report. Alternatively, you can mail all your reports to YYYY@YYYY with subject line as "attention to Dr. Chander Mohan Singh". I would be able to look at them. I hope it helps. You are welcome to ask further health related queries. Regards. Dr.Singh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 6 hours later
The picture I uploaded is from the most recent fall. I did not see a doctor so there is no report. Is there a greater chance of bleeding from a cavernous angioma or venous malformation as opposed to other blood vessels?
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the response. Yes my-friend there is greater chance of bleeding from a cavernous angioma or venous malformation as opposed to other blood vessels. Should symptoms suddenly appear, don't delay in getting an MRI and consulting with a doctor is must. In this case, ignorance is not bliss! So at-last I want to say that even if symptoms are stopped, then also you should get your MRI scan done to rule out future disastrous complications. I hope it helps. You are welcome to ask further health related queries. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer 5 points for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-chander-mohan-singh/67013 Dr.Singh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 38 hours later
I want to save this discussion. If I close the discussion now so that I can make my review, will I still be able to access it? I don't have a printer available at this time.
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, but with direct query. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your response again. If you close the discussion now so that you can make your review, then you will still be able to access it but with direct query to me at my address i.e http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-chander-mohan-singh/67013 OR You can access all your queries from your dashboard/inbox, you just need to log in. Thanks. Dr.Singh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D