What does calcification specks in right lobe of liver indicate?

Question
Hi, I got a CT scan of my abdomen done a couple of days ago, and everything else in the report was normal, except for the observation of a "small speck of calcification on the right lobe" of the liver. Even though the report ends with a diagnosis of 'normal', I am concerned about that observation. I had undergone a USG of my abdomen a year ago, and there was no mention of calcification in that report. All this is due to chronic problems in digestion, bouts of loose motion accompanied by abdominal cramps and other similar gastronomic problems that I have been siffering from for over two years now. My consulting physician seems quite happy with a diagnosis of IBS, but this observation of calcification has me worried.

Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need not worry

Detailed Answer:

Ultrasound scan cannot pick up small spots of calcification. CT scans are very sensitive in identifying such calcific spots.

Calcific spots indicate old healed lesions in the soft tissues. The lesions could be caused by a minor infection of no importance as you might have slipped it asymptomatically.

There is no need to worry on the same. It may not cause any complication. To ascertain the same do get a Liver function test done.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.