What does burning sensation on the stomach and stress indicate?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I am having a burning sensation in the top of my stomach. I have been under extreme stress away from home for the last eight months caring for a grandma with Dementia and COPD. G
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
GERD is the problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are most likely caused by condition called GERD (gastresophageal reflux disease). Due to loose connection between esophagus and stomach stomach acid appears in the esophagus. This causes irritation and burning sensation.
GERD and asthma very often coexist. This is very characteristic for this two conditions to appear together.
Stress stimulates stomach acid secretion and can worsen the symptoms.

I suggest you to avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods, coffee, chocolate, orange juices. Do not eat before sleeping. You may continue Omeprasole 20 mgs once a day (in the morning before any meal).
If this wont settle the symptoms, please consult gastrologist and consider gastroscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later
OK I have been drinking a lot of coffee. I have yearly physical in July and I am putting grandma in a Home next few weeks. This has been very stressful and watching grandpa come to grips with having to put her in the home has been agonizing. So I guess i am asking this is stress and I should be ok right. My last physical doc said i was in perfect condition.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cut coffee and avoid stress and you should be fine.

Detailed Answer:
This is nothing serious. Cut coffee intake and try to avoid stress (I understand it is very hard) and you should be fine. Before your situation will get back to normal, protect your stomach with Omeprasole.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon