What does "bulky uterus" mean?

Dr. Som Biswas

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 7 Oct 2014 in Women's Health
Question: what does a bulky uterus - 4.7 cm in AP dimension and anteverted in position mean? Myometruimm shows multiple hypoechoic ares in fundus measuring 15.2mm x 9.8mm (upper) and 16.8 mm x 12mm (ant) and 17.6mm x 11.4mm (left) mean? Plus endometrial echo is central and thicknes is 14.5mm.
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

Bulky uterus means there is some pathology like irregular menses or adenomyoma which is a collection of abnormal tissue inside uterus.

Rarely even cancer of uterus can cause a bulky uterus.

Anteverted is the normal position of the uterus.

We need to find the cause of the bulky uterus.

Yes sometimes just irregular periods show bulky uterus but sometimes it can be cancer also (very rare though).

I will advise you to get a dilatation and curettage done to find out what exactly is causing the bulky uterus.

Feel free to consult me directly
http://bit.ly/drsombiswas

Dr. Som Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Som Biswas 33 minutes later
What about the fibroids and their size? What does that mean?

And the endometrial thckness of 14.5mm?
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dear XXXX

Detailed Answer:
Fibroid of such small size are not significant and do not need surgery.

But endometrial thickness of 14.5 is significant as normal is 8 mm maximum.

That is the reason i am advising you dilatation and curettage as it will tell what is causing the thickness.