What does bulky cervix indicate?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: hello ..my mother is 50 and she has detected cervix bulky appears 38 x 33 x 31 mm and shows a 16 x 11 mm sized hypoechoic area in cervix along with significant central and peripheral vascularity on color doppler ... i am not getting the exact meaning of it .. can you please help me out with this and also tell me the treatment required .
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
pap smear and colposcopy

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms XXXXXXX , thanks for trusting health care magic.
The report attached with your query is Suggestive of a lesion in cervix which can be
- Nabothian cyst which is very common and is kind of a result of local infection
- Cancerous growth in cervix which is less common but serious problem.

In my opinion she needs to get a Pap Smear and colposcopy to see for the nature of nature of growth and status of vascular supply (as seen on Doppler ultrasound)
Only after these investigations we can decide further course of management.
Also I would like to know the complaints for which ultrasound was done and her menstrual history (menopausal or still menstruating and if any episode of post menopausal bleeding)
In case you have other questions I will be happy to help.

Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 8 minutes later
she was having irregular menses ... the menses continued for about one month in small quantity like sometimes it stopped and again started in few days ..so we consulted the doctor ...now the doctor has prescribed PELVIC MRI .. should we do it ?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Endometrial biopsy

Detailed Answer:
Hi, in my opinion she needs colposcopy, pap smear and fractional curettage of uterus.
Fractional curettage is a procedure which gives us sample of uterine endometrium for histological analysis and helps us to rule out cancer of body of uterus.
She needs it because
- MRI whether normal or abnormal, analysis of endometrial biopsy will still be needed
- she has irregular bleeding pattern
- age factor of 50 years
- endometrial thickness in ultrasound is 10 mm (normal for her age is 4 mm)
So get the above listed investigations and then we can plan next step.
All the best.