What does brownish vaginal discharge in a teenager indicate?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question:

Hello. Im 19 years old and Im kinda concerned about my menstral cycle. 2 weeks ago, i saw very light blood on my underwear. It went on for 2 and a half days. The first day it was reddish, the second day the spotting seemed a bit brownish. It is 14 of february today and i was supposed to have my period on the 10 or 11 of february. Last tuesday or wednesday i felt very slight cramping and i thought for sure that i would start but i didnt. Im still a virgin, but on the same week that the spotting happened , my boyfriend and i were intimate, he was rubbing me "down there" very very roughly and i gave him a hand job but he came no where near me (i am sure). But we did not have sex, he didnt even stick his finger in me. Like i said im still a virgin.

A little background on my period and my health:
I started my first period when i was 13. Ever since then i have always had very very horrible painful cramps every time i would have my period, also i would experience some nausea and diahrrea. The blood is somewhat heavy. There are usually some clots i guess?? I dont know what you call them, its just clumps of stuff. I cant remember if i have ever had a light period. Maybe once i did have a light period a couple years ago. My periods are sometimes irregular. The longest i have gone without a period was maybe a month? (Just last April 2016, i started my period around 27-28 of April and the entire month of May i didnt get a period, it started around 4 or 5 of June). But since then they went back to normal. They would be late maybe a couple days or a week. I have gotten blood work done last spring and everything was normal except maybe a slightly elevated testosterone level, which my doctor concluded to be normal for my age. I was tested for Poly cystic ovarian syndrome and i was negative for that. Also tested for any thyroid problems and my doctor didnt say anything was abnormal. I dont think i am anemic, but it does run on my mom's side of the family ( my mother is anemic). My mother was also diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer last october. Other than that, i am healthy. I dont feel any other symptoms. I am 19 years old, i weigh around 51 kilos (112 pounds) and i am 5 foot 3. I dont know if this will help or not but i am a first year Medical student and my stress levels have been probably extremely high lately haha not stop studying and stress
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possible pCOD...EXPLAINED.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query,
First things first, the bleeding that you had 2 weeks back which lasted for just 2 days with darkish brown discharge was the ovulation bleed that you experienced with possible mittelschmertz. Then the next week by wednesday the symptoms corresponds to the PMS symptoms which can start a week prior to the onset of menses ideally. Considering you have irregular menses with elevated testosterone levels , PCOD can be a possibility with oligomenorrhoea and clinical hyperandrogenism ( acne, hirsutism and acanthosis nigricans). Though an ultrasoudn pelvis should be done to rule out any evidence of polycystic ovaries but PCOD has varied presentations combined with stress induced hormonal imbalances.

Pregnancy is unlikely with your sexual encounter, so rest assured. However you should be a candidate for PCOD treatment. You can opt for low dose oc pills for 3 cycles along with myoinositol supplementation to get your hormones balanced again.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad