What does brown vaginal discharge after taking Plan B?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Tue, 14 Feb 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi, I took Plan B about 72 hours after unprotected sex . A few days after taking plan B Ive been having a brown discharge. Its been 16 days and I am still having this brown discharge. Could I be pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most possible- not pregnant. But to confirm do a pregnancy test.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HCM to post your question.
I read it carefully and I understand your concern.

The efficacy of the emergency pill is until 120 hours after intercourse, but the more time it passes more possible is for it to fail.

Also, with their use, many woman have reported non-menstrual bleeding the first week after taking the pill.

So basically both options are possible- that you may be pregnant (very low chance) or that the bleeding may be a side effect of the pill (this is most possible).

To be extra sure I would recommend doing a pregnancy urine test. They are cheap, non invasive and very accurate. If you can wait 5-7 days to do it, it will be confirmed for sure if you are pregnant or not.

As I said, to reassure you, the most possible chance is for you not to be pregnant.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.
Otherwise please kindly close and rate the answer.

Dr.Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T