What does brown discoloration in semen suggest?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: about a year ago my semen turned pink about 6 months later it has turned brown. What could be the problem?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most Likely due to infection of prostate (prostatitis) or Seminal Vesicle.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have noticed colour of your semen changed to brown since few months .

This is mostly due to infection of either seminal Vesicle (Vesiculitis) or Prostate (Prostatitis).

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Serum PSA.
4) Semen examination and semen culture .

In the mean while start taking antibiotic like Doxicycline and anti inflammatory medication like Diclofenac twice daily later on switch on to appropriaate antibiotic as per culture report.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.