Owl Image

What does blood pressure of 178/113 mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
My blood pressure is 178/113 should I be concerned. I am a 56 yr old female
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
Well, this is stage 2 hypertesion and this is severe hypertension which must be managed by medicines,but this is still not critical unless diastolic pressure reaches 120 and systolic 180. At this point you should lay, rest and check for BP in 30-60 minutes,if values persist you should take take antihypertensiv if you have one prescribed. if not,you should call your doctor and ask for fast-acting antihypertensive drug. If these are chronic BP values, then you need to increase dosage of amlodipine or change antihyopertensive drug. Also, avoid salty food,regulate body weight. Also, watch for symptoms of hypertensive emergency, such as headache, nausea or vomiting, confusion, vision changes, chest pain, or shortness of breath. in these cases go to ER- Wish you good health. Regards