Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

What does blood pressure of 178/113 mean?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9349 Questions
My blood pressure is 178/113 should I be concerned. I am a 56 yr old female
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
Well, this is stage 2 hypertesion and this is severe hypertension which must be managed by medicines,but this is still not critical unless diastolic pressure reaches 120 and systolic 180. At this point you should lay, rest and check for BP in 30-60 minutes,if values persist you should take take antihypertensiv if you have one prescribed. if not,you should call your doctor and ask for fast-acting antihypertensive drug. If these are chronic BP values, then you need to increase dosage of amlodipine or change antihyopertensive drug. Also, avoid salty food,regulate body weight. Also, watch for symptoms of hypertensive emergency, such as headache, nausea or vomiting, confusion, vision changes, chest pain, or shortness of breath. in these cases go to ER- Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor