question-icon

What does blood pressure of 142/93 indicate?

Posted on Wed, 30 Jul 2014
Question: I am XXXXXXX XXXXXXX female age 54. my height is 5'3 and weight is 137. I have a family history of high blood pressure. My blood pressure has been normal until now. My reading today was 138/92. Yesterday it was 142/93. What is this reading telling me? I am a ex-Olympic athlete. I currently exercise 3-4 times a week. I never smoked and have 1-2 glasses of wine a week. I have noticed recently that I like a lot of salty foods.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
You should monitor your blood pressure.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

Since you have a family history of high blood pressure ,you have an increased risk to have high blood pressure.
This doesn't mean you are going to have high blood pressure for sure,so don't need to worry right now.

We can not judge the tendency of your blood pressure only with 2 readings.
It is possible that in those 2 measurement ,the blood pressure was high if you were stressed,anxious or if you haven't measured it in the right way.

In order to evaluate your blood pressure you should measure it 2 times a day,every day in the same time and position for 10 days.
Then write down the results for each day.
At the end of 10 days you will have a clear idea about your blood pressure :if it is normal most of the time with sporadic high values or it is always high.

If your blood pressure is over 130/80 mmHg most of the time then you can consult a physician.
You should know than new guidelines for Hypertension treatment recommend to start a treatment for high blood pressure only when the values of BP ore grater than 140/90 mmhg.

You should restrict the salt in your foods ,drink plenty of fluids and keep living healthy.

You don't need to worry right now,just monitor your blood pressure for 10 days.

Hope my answer has helped.
If you have any other question,please feel free to write me,I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health.
Regards!

Dr.Rovena Murati
Dr. Rovena Murati