What does blood in urine without signs of infection indicate?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hello,
For the past three weeks, I've had blood in urine with no sign of infection. My doctor placed me on antibotics for 5 days. I felt better but not 100%. a week later, I was somewhat active and went to the restroom soon after and saw what appeared to be a bloodclot. I went to get my urine tested again - blood present but no infection. I started to feel worse with back aches and burning when I used the restroom. I went to the emergency room and had a cat scan - no kidney stones present - kidneys looked normal but still hematuria. I returned home but started to get chills but no fever. I called urologist recommended and he said I had a kidney infection and put me on ciprofloxacin 500mg. on Sunday. i'm still not feeling better with pain on my left side of back, uncomfortable when urinating; popping feelings like airbubbles in area; feeling tired; lack of energy. What could be going on? internal bleeding?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
bladder issue

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
It is possible that something is going on in your bladder causing the bleeding and pain. It is good that you got the CT and that your kidneys appear to be normal and that they saw no stones. If your symptoms do not clear up after the course of Cipro then you may need to see your urologist and have a cystoscopy done. This is where they look inside your bladder and examine it for a source of bleeding. If you did have an infection, then this could explain the bleeding because sometimes with a bladder infection the lining of the bladder gets irritated and bleeds. If that is the case then your symptoms and the bleeding should stop after taking the antibiotics.
I hope you are feeling better soon.
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson