What does blood in the stool indicate after an enema?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I had a CT scan last night in the ER for flank pain and abdominal cramping. CT showed large amounts of fecal so was givin an enema. Soon after I began to wipe blood and when I got home had another bowel movement with blood in stool
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Proctoscopic and coloscopic examination required.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

As per your query answer is-

Generally, blood coming from higher levels (stomach and small bowel) converts into a dark coal black colour due to the changes the blood has in the bowel. It is the bleeding from lower parts (colon) that will show as bright red blood.
Have you ever had a colonoscopy done? After the age of 50, it is recommended that all people should have a colonoscopy every 10 years. Even if you have had this test in the last 5 years it might be recommended to repeat it as you are having this bleeding if the stool tests confirm you are really bleeding.
A proctoscopic examination of anal canal has to be done to rule out possibility of hemorrhoids also or mucosa injury due to hard stools.
Rx-
Take a kavative like lactulose daily.Its over the counter.

Thanks!

Follow-up: What does blood in the stool indicate after an enema? 24 minutes later
Yes I have IBS and have had two colonoscopies done. My last one was 3 years ago and a small polyp was found. My grandpa has had colon cancer and my dad has had numerous polyps removed. I’ve had horrible cramping all day as well and can still feel lumps. The bleeding is more of a bright red and is in the stool after I’ve gone.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again sir as you are symptomatic and can feel lump inside i wouod suggest you to go for a stool routine and senstivity test and a sigmoidoscopy if possible.

Regards!