What does blood in the semen indicate?

Question
What can cause blood in semen
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hematorspermia

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Blood in the semen (hematospermia) is concerning to see, but in most cases the cause is a benign process. Still, it should be checked out with a history and a urinalysis.

There are really quite a lot of causes and these include benign and malignant disorders of the prostate gland, seminal vesicles, spermatic cord, and ejaculatory duct system; urogenital infections including sexually transmitted infections (chlamydia, herpes simplex virus, gonorrhea, trichomonas); metastatic cancers; vascular malformations; congenital and drug-induced bleeding disorders; and even frequent daily ejaculation over a period of several weeks. However, it is often impossible to know with certainty whether these conditions are the cause of hematospermia. Often the cause is not found.

If you otherwise have no other symptoms, the initial evaluation consists of a history, physical examination, and urinalysis. Other studies are doneif abnormalities are suggested by these initial measures or if hematospermia persists.

If you have hematospermia and symptoms of urethritis such as burning with urination, you should be tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia. If you have persistent unexplained hematospermia (lasting longer than one month) you should be evaluated with transrectal ultrasonography and, in as you are over age 50, with referral to a urologist.

So - while a cause may not be found, and it is usually not due to any serious medical problem, it should be evaluated.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.