What does blood in stool indicate?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 14 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I'm 18 year old male and have health anxiety so it's probably nothing but I want to be sure. I noticed there was blood in my feces earlier when wiping which seemed to come from inside. I later used a tissue and inserted my finger up to see if there was anything and there were tiny traces of blood but I'm not sure if that was because of inserting my finger. I've had a couple of poops since and I found nothing. I just want to know if there is anything to be concerned about and if not what to look out for in the future. I have already consulted another doctor on here about it but was looking for a second opinion, thanks.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
May need per rectal examination and stool analysis

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, though the blood loss has settled down but the cause of the bleeding should better be worked up to avoid such in future.

First of all, carefully recall any history of some peculiar food intake or ingestions of certain medications like multivitamins before that incidence as sometimes food colors in part such colors to the stool. If not a baseline blood work up like complete blood counts to look for hemoglobin and red cell count to rule out any history of chronic blood loss.

A stool analysis or stool for occult blood to look for any microscopic blood loss should be ruled out. A per rectal examination by a surgeon may be needed to rule out local causes.

At this level colonoscopy or other invasive investigations are not needed and should be left out if symptoms persist or recur. Meanwhile taking soft diets and avoiding junk, heavy, spicy diets will help. Avoid gastric irritants and soda beverages for a while.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 44 minutes later
I recall eating a microwaved Spaghetti meal the night before and was wondering if there could be food dyes or chemicals in it that could give the appearance of blood?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Yes any ingredients in food can impart such color but if symptoms persist or recur get it worked up the way we have discussed. Also if you feel fatigued or exhausted you also shlould get your hemoglobin levels checked to rule out any insensual blood loss in stools or through GI tract. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 days later
Hi, I just noticed this in my poop and was wondering whether you think this is just food or blood, thanks
Brief Answer:
It can be lower GI bleed or food content

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Though it can be some food content yet the possibility of blood or hematochezia can't be ignored. It's better to get a surgical review for local per rectal examination and if possible proctoscopy. Stool microscopic examination and stool for occult blood should also be done.

These all can help to rule out any source of bleeding in the lower Gastric tract. Colonoscopy may not be needed at this stage.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee