What does blood discharge and spotting indicate?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Women's Health
Question: a few days ago I noticed when I went to the bathroom there was a little blood on the tissue when I wiped from the virginal area not very much but enough to notice it on the tissue. At age 66 I still have my uterus and ovaries.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please consult your Gynecologist

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Welcome to Healthcare magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.
Although you have noticed this bleeding/spotting just once, it should not be ignored.
Several conditions can cause this postmenopausal spotting:
1. Thinning of the vaginal mucosa due to low estrogen levels in the body after menopause.
This thin mucosa is very easily bruised causing vaginal bleeding. This is the COMMENEST cause.
2.Lining of the uterus can become thick (endometrial hyperplasia) causing bleeding.
3. Polyps on cervix and in the lining of uterus can cause this bleeding.
4. There is a 10% risk that it is due to cancer of the lining of uterus.
5. Very rarely cancer of ovary/ vagina /vulva can cause this bleeding.

Though the commonest cause for such bleeding is thinning of vaginal mucosa, it is important to exclude the small possibility of cancer. So please fix an appointment with your Gynecologist to find out the cause for this bleeding. Apart from pelvic examination. you will also be advised ultrasound of uterus and ovaries and biopsy from the lining of uterus.

I hope this helps. If you have any further queries, do write to me. I will be happy to answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN