Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

What does bleeding after sex and foul smell indicate?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
i had hysterectomy (COMPLETE) over 10 years ago bleed one time after intercourse and have an odor now what does this mean? HAVE NOTICED ODOR FOR SEVERAL WEEKS AND JUST BLEED ONCE AFTER INTERCOUSRE. DID NOT NOTICE ODOR THE TIME I BLEED.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 31 minutes later

Presence of bleeding per vagina (post intercourse) and foul smell could be due to either bacterial vaginosis or atypical changes in the vagina or cervix.

You might benefit by consulting a OB-GYN - for a pelvic examination and conducting tests including a hanging drop preparation, a gram stain and vaginal culture for gonococci and chlamydia to know the cause of your symptoms.

In addition testing with pap smear - to detect atypical changes in the cervix or vagina might also be indicated.

I hope this helps.

I shall be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor