What does bleeding after intercourse indicate?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Tue, 10 Feb 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hello Doctor. On 11th XXXXXXX Me and my girlfriend had unprotected sex. She bled the next day and told like the bleeding is like her menstrual blood. But the bleeding stopped in a day which she expected to continue for three days as she was expecting her cycle that time. From that day, she has symptoms of periods but she has not bled since that day after sex. Can she be pregnant.? I don't think I ejaculated inside her. Is there a possibility of pregnancy after she has bled.?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
she is unlikely to be pregnant

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting healthcare magic.
If you both had unprotected sex on 11th XXXXXXX , and thereafter she had bleeding for the whole day on 12th XXXXXXX , which she was expecting as her dates were due by then , it is likely that what she experienced was a menstrual bleed. It cannot be an implantation bleed the next day of sex, so it is unlikely that she is pregnant . As the endometrium of the previous cycle was shed off during the bleed, the chances for fertilisation and then implantation are remote.
Secondly the possible cause for her bleeding to stop in just one day is due to release of prostaglandins and excess progesterone during the sexual act or even orgasm which would have caused the endometrial sinuses to close again thereby stopping the bleed and now what she is experiencing in form of period symptoms like nausea , headache, bloating, sore breasts, lower abdominal cramps would be due to premenstrual symptoms indicating that her menses would start again in few days once the effect of prostaglandin excess dies down.
This is a normal phenomenon seen if one has sex in the last week of menstrual cycle that the periods tend to get shortened and then delayed.
She is likely to experience her bleeding soon. But for documentary sake , it would be better to undertake a urine pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy for sure to allay the anxiety and stress associated with it which can itself play a cause in delaying the menses further due to hormonal imbalances in the woman's body.
If the test is negative, then she should wait for her menses to return and follow barrier contraception till resumption.
I hope i have answered your query in detail,
regards
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 14 minutes later
Can there be a chance that its not a menstrual bleed.? Can there be some other reason.? Considering the above,Is there a chance of pregnancy if I had ejaculated inside her even after she has bled.?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
still no chance f pregancy after bleed

Detailed Answer:
If her menses were due then these were menses for sure.
If she was in the midway then this could have been a break through bleed which is due to progesterone deficiency and due to ovulation.
As this was in the fag end of her period cycle, the bleeding ensures that pregnancy wouldn't establish even if you have ejaculated.

the best would be to do a urine pregnancy test tomorrow to rule out pregnancy for sure , so that it would remove the anxiety associated with it from both your minds .
regards