What does bland diet for a person suffering from diverticulosis contain?

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I was diagnosed with ischemic colitis and inflamed duodenal bulb and extensive sigmoid diverticulosis. I need to eat a bland diet but I don't know what that is ? I am taking protonix and sertraline and pravastatin plus one more I can't remember the name. I think I have had IBS since I was a child. I have had stomach issues for many years. I have lost time at work and been in a lot of pain many many times. Also I am overweight, about 255 at five foot eight. a size 16 / 18 in clothing. I am trying to lose weight. Can u give me any suggestions ? I recently had a colonoscopy due to pain extreme sweating and rectal bleeding. Please help me. Thank You for your time, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bland diet

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern and empathise you.

Bland diet is taken during acute phase of diverticulitis. It is basically something which is very easy for digestion and has not fibre. The sample diet foods that I could think of are these
clear soup for 3 days during the acute phase, you can cut it short to one day if the pain in the abdomen subsides
vegetable broth or chicken broth is good during acute pain
sparkling water
fruit juice without pulp esp grape and apple
popsicles and crackers
Dry toast and tea without milk and cream.

When you think you are recovering from the acute pain and bleeding you can switch to following by introducing low fibre
cheeses
yogurt
canned fruit but no pulp
low fibre cereals
peanut butter and soft but hard boiled eggs

Your weight is on higher side but that should not concern you during acute phases. your mind should be clear during these phases. Do not get stressed out by thinking too much about weight. First clear episodes cut them short.

Once you think you have achieved optimal health with fewer acute phases and more stable health you can seek a dietitian help for weight loss. Even now you can be in touch with dietitian for clear diet plan during phases of diverculosis.

Hope this helps.