What does black spot on finger with diabetic nephropathy indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012

Dermatologist
Question
My father is a know case of DM2 and Diabetic nephropathy. He has developed a black spot on this finger. Kindly see the attached picture.
Please tell me if it is dangerous and what action should be taken. Should we apply Fusidic or zerina cream on it.
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please get the region assessed for vascular issues

Detailed Answer:
Hi there XXXXXXX
I think it needs to be approached with a little more urgency.
Please go across to a surgeon & check get a Doppler study done to see the arterial/Venous flow to the finger especially as he is diabetic..it could be early gangrene settling in.
It well may be an infection leading onto gangrene & in either case a stronger antibiotic like Linezolid 600mg twice/daily is called for at the earliest.
There does not seem much use for a locally applied cream either fusidic or Xerina.
Good Luck & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD