What does "bilateral L5 pars defects,grade 2 spondylolisthesis of L5 on S1" mean?
Thanks for posting your query.
You are having a disc prolapse at the level of L4-L5. There is anterior slipping of L5 vertebra over S1 vertebra with stenosis of the foramina from which nerves come out causing the nerve compression.
Fusion of L5 with S1 does not cause much symptoms.
The treatment is done according to the severity of symptoms. Medicines are the first line treatment along with physiotherapy. If the patient responds well with medicines then physiotherapy helps in preventing further progression of the problem. Surgery is kept as a last resort to improve the quality of life of the patient.
- Maintain optimum body weight,if you are obese
- Avoid lifting heavy weights as it imparts more strain on your back
- Change your daily activities so that you avoid movements that can cause further pain, especially bending forward and lifting as it will worsen the disc protrusion. if you want to bend forwards, do it with your hips and knees flexed.
- Use a lumbosacral back support to stabilize your spinal muscles
- Intermittent pelvic traction might be helpful to cause a regression of the protruded disc
- After the initial pain has subsided, remedial exercises to strengthen the spine are very important to restore normal spinal movements and muscle strength. The main aim of exercise is to encourage mobility, reduce muscle spasm, prevent further deterioration in the muscles and speed recovery.
- Use analgesics like advil or aleve and muscle relaxants to relieve pain and muscle spasm, as needed. Vitamin B12 supplements & Pregabalin may be helpful in controlling the neuropathic pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
medicines will help you.
Thanks for writing again.
The symptoms that you have described are likely to respond well with medicines and exercise. Please do not worry and stick to your treatment plan. Vitamin B12 supplements & Pregabalin will help in reducing the sciatic pain.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Symptoms of Spondylolisthesis
- Spondylolisthesis causes
- Anabolic spondylolisthesis
- What medicine and diet should be taken for spondylolisthesis
- Ayurvedic spondylolisthesis
- Liposuction spondylolisthesis
- Elliptical and spondylolisthesis
- Spondylolisthesis palpitations
- Spondylolisthesis dizziness
- Reducing spondylolisthesis