What does an old lateral MI show in EKG?

Dr. Om Lakhani

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What kind of changes would u see on XXXXXXX Hutdherson ekg if old laterial mi
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 11 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

An Old Lateral MI would show large 'Q' waves (first negative wave in a QRS complex) in your lateral leads ie leads V5 and V6.

Sometimes it can even show decapitation of 'R' waves in leads V5 and V6 and poor R wave progression i.e. the generally the R wave increases in size from V1 to V6 but with a lateral MI it may not increase in size as expected.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani

Follow up: Dr. Om Lakhani 11 hours later
You see Jakes ekg with irreg heart beat what would you do next?
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 12 hours later

Well that depends on the changes on the ECG. Depends on what kind of abnormal rhythm you see on the ECG. The best thing .. to consult your healthcare professional ASAP when you see such ECG changes.

Dr. Om Lakhani