What does an occasional throbbing of the left carotid artery signify?

Posted on Wed, 8 Feb 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What is the significance of an occasional throbbing of the left Carotid Artery?
Answered by Dr. Rini 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be paplitation radiating to carotid!

Detailed Answer:

Firstly thanks for choosing health care magic for your query,
Occasional throbbing in left carotid artery can be because of palpitation of heart ,sometimes palpitations are not fealt over chest but rather they are felt over the carotid artery.Even some of the murmers like ejection systolic murmer can migrate to carotid artery.Some times but rarely it can be because of the spasm in smooth muscles of the artery.
Few base line investigations should be done to rule out cardiac or carotid involvement
24 hour holter monitoring -to look for the nature palpitations.
2d Echo test -To rule out any pathological or [physiological problem with heart.
A carotid artery doppler to rule out blockage and any abnormality in carotid artery.
If the baseline tests are normal,Then don't worry!

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Rini

Cardiologist