What does abnormal EEG result indicate?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I had a EEg and was told it was abnormal, because it is totally abnormal, left hemisphere. Structural abnormality, vascular, neoplastic or traumatic, should be exlued. Over spikes are not seen but as times, but appears to be somewhat sharp in the left hemisphere. I can't get in to the Dr until mid Sept and suppose to go on a cruise shortly after that. Just wonder if this is serious and should cancel cruise...I don't want to get sick in the middle of the ocean....I feel fine,except for tireness.

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Traveling should be postponed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

EEG may result abnormal in different brain conditions, but is not a diagnostic tool about tumors, stroke, arteriovenous malformations etc.

All these are serious conditions and it is not advisable to travel before a correct diagnosis is achieved.

Besides consulting with your Doctor, imaging studies ( CT scan, brain MRI ) are crucial in achieving the diagnosis, so, in my opinion, you cannot decide to travel or not without having imaging of brain done.

I think you should postpone the traveling.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Please rate and close the conversation if you don't have any other questions/clarifications and if it was helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee