What does abdominal pain on the left side with swelling indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
Two weeks ago I bent over to pick something up. I experienced an intense pain in low left back. The low back started to tighten up, pain to left hip area and into left testicle. I used ice on low back immediately for the day. Used a hit tub that evening. Next day I noticed a bulge on lower side of abdomen. The low back and testicle pain has subsided but the pain in lower left stomach has not. I have been to the ER twice. The first time the ER Dr said I had an non-calcified obstruction in left ureter. Saw my urologist three days later and determined that it was not a urology issue. The second ER visit the doctor thought it was probably a disc in low back. Saw a neurosurgeon the same day who did an MRI - said there was small herniated disc that might have accounted for the low back pain but now the bulge in stomach. Both ER doctors did a CT. One was without contrast - one with. The both said that a hernia didn't show up on the CT. My primary doctor had an ultrasound done. Nothing noted. I can feel the bulge as it pulls or strains the left hip point, hurts to breath, twist... Feel somewhat better after a bowel movement. Have anything from normal, constipated and diahria in the last two weeks. I can fee the bulge area when I have to strain. 30 years ago I had double hernia and about 10 years ago I had a umbilical hernia. Even though they say the CT doesn't show a hernia - had been lift and moving heavy object (that I could barely lift)in all kinds of different movements to get the objects relocated. The bulge starts about and inch or so from the end of one of the surgical scars on the hernias that were done about 30 years ago. Really frustrated as this is visible and I am in pain.
Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please give some additional information

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history well and understood your concerns.

The possible cause of lump and pain as you have noted can be a hernia or muscles spasm with or without a hematoma.

A simple test would find out whether this is a hernia or not.
Put the flat of palm on the bulge and cough hard.

Please observe whether there is an impulse on coughing - that is an increase on the bulge. Second is reducibility - that is you can press in the bulge almost completely on pushing.

Please let me know your finding.
A hernia is best diagnosed by clinical examination.
Awaiting your feedback for us to discuss further.