question-icon

What does abdominal discomfort on the left side of body suggest?

Posted on Thu, 14 May 2015
Question: My granddaughter has been experiencing mild discomfort for the past coupe of days on her lower left side. Her family on her fathers side have had their apendix temoved right around her age (19) should go go to emerengy or wait to see if any symtoms appear?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis (20 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Abdominal pain that lasts for more than 6 hours needs investigation

Detailed Answer:

left side discomfort is usually attributed to the intestine or the ovaries, although other cause are also possible like the kidney or her vasculature. The appendix typically hurts in the right lower side. Despite that any pain that lasts for many hours needs investigation.

A careful clinical examination is enough most of the times to exclude serious causes but laboratory investigation might be needed depending on the doctor's findings.

You can contact me again, if you'd like more information. I'll be glad to provide them.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis