What does a yellow layer over teeth indicate?

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 in Dental Health
Question: Hello Doctor ,
I have kind of yellow dense layer in my tooth . This i noticed some 2 or 3 months back. Since then , I am spending extra care on brushing and making sure that i do in the best way.Inspite of these efforts , there is little improvement on that and still the yellowish shade persists.My Friends are saying it is a Vitamin Deficiency and suggesting for some tooth white treatment.Is it advisable to go for that treatment.? Also will the Cure will be Permanent ? What is the Main cause for this yellowish Layer on my teeth ?

Please advise me on these line doctor.

Thanks ,

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
deposits, flourosis, abrasion, scaling, venners, bleaching.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query, I have gone through your query.
As far as the yellow layer over the teeth is concerned, I have two possibilities.
It can be because of the deposits (plaque and calculus and stains).
The other possible cause can be because of the wearing away of teeth structure(abrasion) or flourosis.

Nothing to be panic, consult a oral physician and get it evaluated.
If it is because of the deposits, you can get your teeth cleaned(scaling). The cleaning is not the permanent option, depending upon your maintenance of your oral hygiene, once in 8-9months, you need to get the teeth cleaned.

If it is because of the wearing away of teeth structure, then you can go for either, veneering or crowns. If it is because of the flourosis then it can be restored with either bleaching or veneers. The Bleaching and veneers are not the permanent option, the veneers can get chipped off and the teeth might discolor again. The permanent option will be tooth colored crowns(ceramic).
These are the possible causes and treatment plans based on your description of your problem. If you can upload the images, I can give you exact diagnosis and treatment plan.

If any queries are there, reply me back.
I hope my answer will help you, take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T