What does a total PSA level of 3.52 and free PSA level of 1.29 indicate?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have a total psa reading of 3.52 and a free psa reading of 1.29. Whatdoes that mean?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It signifies that yo are unlikely to have Cancer of Prostate

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .Based on the report and values of Free and Total PSA that you have stated I would like to explain the significance of these values in detail .

The semen on ejaculation is thick and viscid in nature and sperms can not move freely in such thick and viscid medium.PSA is a protein secreted by prostate cells that liquefies semen to help the sperms to move freely from vagina towards cervix and uterus .

The PSA is present in blood in two forms one is bound to proteins and the other portion is free PSA which is unbound to proteins .

The PSA is important tool to help screening of the cancer of the prostate and to decide about need for doing biopsy of the prostate to confirm the diagnosis .

The normal values of Total PSA in a normal person is 1-4 ng .
Whenever the value of free PSA is less than 25 % of the total PSA it is considered to be a cut off value and makes mandatory to do prostate biopsy to confirm the diagnosis of cancer of prostate ..

Since both total and free PSA in your case are within normal range you need not worry at all .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.