What does a swollen lump in the pelvic area indicate?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: I have a swollen lump in my pelvis area. Where my leg meets my body on the right side. It dosent hurt but i just noticed it because i touched it. Is this a lymph node? And why is it swollen?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please give details and post actual photographs if possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history about a 23 year old male: swollen lump in pelvic area - on right - in the groin where the legs meet the body - no pain or tenderness - noticed due to touch - wants to know whether this is a lymph node and why it is swollen...
Please check for yourself and give me the feedback:
Put a palm on the lump and cough forcefully and see if it remains stationary means no change in size or gets enlarged?
If so, does it reduce in size on pressure to vanish but to reappear?
Is it single or many?
Any history of any wound in the penis, scrotum or peri-anal area?
Since when has this been found out?
What is the size, consistency> soft/firm/hard?
Is it fixed or XXXXXXX

Detailed feedback will help me to assist you better.
As also post clear and focused photographs if possible as it helps in further diagnosis.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
It does not vanish when you apply pressure. It is single. No history. I found it today. Consistency is hard but XXXXXXX When i put down pressure on it it is a little tender. I attached photo.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
Yes, this looks to be a lymph node.
If this is enlarged without a obvious reason it is then necessary to get this confirmed by High Resolution Ultrasound to see what it is and to have FNAC that is fine needle aspiration cytology the cause of it.
Medical field is evidence based, hence it is imperative to get the evidence as soon as possible.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 43 minutes later
Is it possible that it is because i pulled a ligament in my leg? The area that connects my thigh to my groin. It happened by kicking a ball too hard.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Any painful movement of the thigh over the body?

Detailed Answer:
If this is due to pulled ligament or muscles, the movement of the thigh over the body will be painful.
Do you have such pains , please.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 14 hours later
Yes i have pain when i do certain movements with my leg in my inner thigh where it connects to my pelvic bone. Right next to my genitals. Ive had the pain for a while now ever since running and kicking a ball very hard in a game. Can this cause a swollen lymph node there? I also have a minir swore throat and my family is going through the flu. Can this be associated to it?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
As explained.

Detailed Answer:
Flu can cause myalgia and pain in the areas where muscles start or insert in the bones. If one exerts when with flu, the problem can be more as it looks in your case.
This can cause swelling or can be lymph nodes secondarily too.
Hence the necessity of getting ultrasound done.
Please get one to get the confirmed diagnosis so that the treatment can be well guided as the treatment for both be different.
Start taking an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen if it suits you.