What does a soft fluid-filled swelling in the vagina indicate?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2018 in Women's Health
Question: While taking a shower in the last half hour I discovered a egg like size soft maybe fluid filled pocket (?) protruding from my vagina. No pain and was able to push it back in. I have had a hysterectomy many years ago. Do you have any idea what it could be unfortunately I am taking my husband in for surgery tomorrow so I I can’t do anything for myself right away. No pain no other symptoms. I know this is certainly a gross question for you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Can be a small harmless cyst.

Detailed Answer:

A soft fluid-filled swelling in the vagina that is freely XXXXXXX can be due to a small vaginal cyst.

Since it is a small painless swelling it is likely to be a benign cyst. Keep checking its size if growing or not.

Else a direct examination and a few investigations will help in confirming the diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 52 minutes later
What causes a cyst? Will it burst or just dissolve?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:

Can be due to a blocked gland.

Detailed Answer:

A cyst can form due to blockage of a gland duct. It can burst or get infected. It is less likely to get dissolved on its own.
Hope my answer is helpful.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Rakhi Tayal, OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad