Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

What does a small swelling under the chin indicate?

Aug 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 1025 Questions
Hi, This evening my daughter and i were laughing, when i noticed she threw her head back and there was a pea size ball under her chin. I touched it and it moved around. She is 3yrs old will be 4 in March. Ive never seen her have that before. Im very worried, what should i do?
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 50 minutes later
hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem At the offset let me assure you that in the neck area there are swellings called the lymph nodes which can be present without any problem and they will usually get better over time. You just have to make sure that she does not have any focus of infection. The lump you mentioned may just be a node in the sub mental region and is nothing to worry about. In any case to put your mind at set you may want to do these: - get an ENT consult and rule out any focus of infection like tonsils etc and also get the lump properly examined - if there is pain over the lump you may want to start a course of antibiotics in consultation with your doctor - if the lump persists for more than a couple of weeks then you must get an testing called the fine needle aspiration cytology or FNAC so that a proper diagnosis maybe reached - consult also a dermatologist as even scalp inflictions can present with node swellings The above are only to put your mind at peace and it am sure that the swelling is nothing to worry about Hope your doubts are clear and if you have any more, I will be happy to help you out regards Dr Sriram Nathan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor