What does a small, slightly painful bump in the anal canal indicate?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Dear Doctor,

37 year old male in reasonably good health with a somewhat embarrassing question.

I was showering and as usual, cleaning my butt. I generally soap up a finger and clean my anal ring/opening. Upon doing this as usual, just inside the anal ring, I noticed a small (less than the size of a pea) bump. It's mildly painful (only when poked or prodded) and seems to move around a bit when touched. Sometimes it feels quite solid, whereas other times it seems like it's not as much and harder to find, but I eventually can. I don't recall noticing it per se before, at least with pain. It might have been there a bit softer with no pain, in which case I didn't find it alarming.

Is this likely a normal finding or temporary issue?

I'm not sure what else there is to say except I do occasionally have anal sex (though not often), and I know that puts me at slightly higher risks for certain conditions, such as colon cancer, so I'd like to rule that out if possible.

Thanks for any info you can give me! My gut feeling is that this is fine and just a hemorrhoid or temporarily irritated gland, but I want to make sure it's nothing that needs immediate attention. (I'm going out of town Friday for a vacation, and really would prefer not to have to worry about this.)

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hemorrhoid grade 1 as a result of anal sex most likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query dear patient,
Have gone through your detailed history and i appreciate your concerns.
As per the details and narration given by you it seems that you are having Hemorrhoid.
However you should take it seriously and should go for proctoscopic examination by a general surgeon.
If treated initially by medication chances of cure are high.You can use Preparation-H, a combination containing contains Calcium Dobesilate, Hydrocortisone, Lignocaine, and Zinc for relief till the test is done.
You can go for a vacation.Its not urgent but get it done after your vacations.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 11 hours later
Thanks very much! Glad to hear it's nothing too serious, and I will definitely take care of it. I have a doctor appointment in February once I'm back, so will get it checked out then.

Just to clarify, you're fairly certain from my description that it is NOT cancer or anything like that - just a hemorrhoid?

Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear very likely its not cancer because cancer is usually associated with altered bowel habits also.
However a proctoscopic examination would make things fully clear.
Firstly enjoy your vacations!