What does a small purplish blotch on scrotum indicate?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a small purplish blotch on my scrotum. No pain or itching. Is this a sign of herpes
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly elaborate and send pictures.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for possibility of herpes after formation of purplish blotch on scrotum.

Though herpes doesn't manifest as purplish blotch on scrotum and is mainly shown as multiple vesicles and superficial ulcers. So in first instance it doesn’t seems to be herpes. But even then to confirm the exact entity I request you to kindly elaborate certain important points:

- Since how long you have purplish blotch on scrotum.

- Any pain, burning or itching in same.

- Any raw surface or ulceration over the same.

- Any history of unprotected sex with a known person or a commercial sex worker.

I request you to kindly upload few good resolution pictures of the affected area so that I can analyze it better. Kindly send good resolution pictures focusing the area of concern which can be seen on higher magnification. For uploading the pictures you have a facility on the right side of the page or can send on:

YYYY@YYYY

with "attention:Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia"

Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 26 minutes later
There is no burning itching or scratching. In the last 24 hours it has gotten no worse and mildly improved. I did have sex w a random who I fear is with many people on early Friday morning. She performed oral on me w a condom we had vaginal sex with a condom and I stupidly performed oral for a few moments with out protection and not to climax. I feel just awful about this. If i take a herpes test today can i get results?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not herpes; Just relax and do not worry.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again and thanks for your follow up.

I can understand your concern for the possibility of herpes after the unprotected intercourse.

Let me tell you certain important facts related to herpes:

To tell you medically - Herpes lesions manifest itself as small vesicles (fluid filled blisters) which remains for just a day or two and then forms ulcers which are quite painful. These ulcers then heals in next 5-7 days. You can go on internet and can see these as ready reference.

To begin with also these vesicles are quite painful and itchy with discomfort and once the vesicles burst in a day or two then the ulcers which are formed are quite painful for next 4-5 days. So the symptoms can never go unnoticed.
In yourself I can make out that no such symptom is present matching with the above symptoms.

So you can rest assured regarding the rarest possibility of herpes at present. You can make out that you do not have any of the symptoms which match with herpes or its symptoms or any other Sexually Transmitted Diseases.

I would not prefer to go for the test at this time. As it is just 3-4 days since the incidence. On one side it is not required as you do not have any symptoms related to herpes. On the the other side if at all you want to go for the test then can go after 4 weeks period.

Just relax and do not worry. I also suggest to have safer sex by use protection in form of condoms for any kind of sexual act which is the best method of prevention of all types of STDs.

I hope these informations will relax you. I will be glad to answer any further queries.

My all best wishes for your healthy life.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
I am going to send you a photo for a little bit more of piece of mind. Please responds as soon as you can. Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I am not able to find the pictures yet.

Detailed Answer:
Dear young fellow,

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your follow up.

I am not able to find the pictures yet. I request you to kindly upload pictures by a facility on the right side of the page or can send on:

YYYY@YYYY

I am there to help you and reassure you fully that in my view your spot doesn't seem to be herpes, though I require a good resolution picture to confirm the same.

Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Here is a picture of the small purple spot I fear is herpes. I also had a grey hair that was growing out of the middle of the spot which I plucked
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not herpes. Just a spot of abrasion.

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for posting your picture.

I have gone through the picture with diligence and can make out the spot as small abrasion spot. The redness is definetly due to plucking of spot which caused redness and mild abrasive spot. It is not at all herpes so rest assured for the same.

I give you complete assurance that the spot is not herpes so just relax.

I also suggest you to always use protection and have safer sex.

I hope these informations will relax your mind. I will be glad to answer any further queries or if not then can close the discussion and rate the answer.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay