What does a small orange bump on scalp of a toddler indicate?

Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My toddler has a small orange bump or mole on the back of her scalp. It resembles most a raised mole although I have never seen it on her before. It is a fleshy orange/pale yellow color and is not painful to her. I tried squeezing a little to see if it was an ingrown hair or pimple but it doesn't seem to be filled with puss or liquid. I noticed this yesterday and today nothing about the bump has changed. The color of it and the fact that it's on her head is what has me most concerned
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
sebaceous cyst

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed the pictures. It may be sebaceous cyst or lipoma. Sebaceous cyst is soft and painless. And lipoma can be freely movable. A physical examination is necessary to differentiate between the two.

I think it should have been there for quiet a long time without notice. As it is not filled with pus and painless abscess is less likely.

You need not be concerned as it appears to be benign. However I will encourage you to consult a dermatologist to arrive at a definitive cause.

Will be happy to help you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad